Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Is Urban Meyer a coach or just an Urban legend?

At the conclusion of the University of Florida Gators’ Outback bowl game in Tampa Bay, Florida at Raymond James Stadium against Penn State University, Urban Meyer will conclude his tenure at University of Florida as head coach for health reasons. This will be the third collegian university Meyer has vacated even though the first two were for job promotions.


Although I was never a die-hard fan of any colleges Urban Meyer has coached, for some odd reason I have taken an peculiar interest on how his teams have performed and how long Meyer stays at one institution. I am completely clueless as to why. While I know he has been victorious no matter where he has landed, there is something about his coaching style that has stirred my belly in a bad swirl.


Before the Gator lovers start ordering a hit squad against me, I understand the honors that Mr. Meyer has received over the years; National Championships in 2006 and 2008, national coach of the year in 2004, as well as numerous conference titles along the way.


However, where I see the urban legend is the fact the man has never stayed a head coach at one place very long. He coached two seasons at University of Bowling Green and University of Utah respectively before spending the last six seasons at the University of Florida although he considered leaving Florida after five years.


I even vocally question the move to Utah because I thought the job change was a lateral move instead of a job promotion. Apparently, I was wrong there because the football voters respect teams from the Mountain West Conference over the Mid-American Conference. My bad!!


Although I will not apologies for the following statement: I have always wondered when Meyer was seeking new employment the decision that his starting quarterbacks at BGSU and Utah were leaving for the NFL draft factored into his decision, Alex Smith from Utah (#1 overall pick in 2005 draft) and Josh Harris at BGSU. I really doubt Meyer will honestly answer my question. Meyer even considered leaving Florida after Tim Tebow graduated. Does he not trust his choice for the next quarterback or was he always looking for the next big thing?


Hardly anyone can successfully build a college program after two years and six seasons at one institution, although extremely victorious, begins the formation of a strong concrete base. The next step is to build on that base, and next season would be a great season to strengthen the Florida mold after a mediocre year. Don’t get me wrong some fans would enjoy a 7 win year with 5 loses and a bowl victory against Penn State. However, are those Florida standards after his first 5 years?


I rarely doubt there is another coach like Joe Paterno at Penn State or Frank Beamer at Virginia Tech who stays at one university for their entire coaching career. Even though I believe the President or Athletic Director who ever fires Mr. Joe Paterno is afraid of circumstances from alumni. But, I do believe a coach needs to establish a longer tenure then six years to earn the status as a legend.


In my opinion the ONE item lacking from Urban Meyers resume is longevity. He can build a program but how long can he carry a program? Can he survive adversity? How does be respond to a losing season or even an average year like Florida’s 2010 season. Can Meyer be as successful with all the rewards and recognition with his team’s second generation quarterback for three to four college football seasons? As of today we don’t know those answers. These are questions as to why I believe Meyers coaching career is more of an urban legend instead of a legend like Joe Paterno.


I will never insult anyone for leaving a job for medical matters or to spend more time with their family, but I will always wonder if Urban Meyer’s short time in Florida will end up as an Urban Legend instead of a Legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment